http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Sunday, May 1, 2011

FORTY YEARS TODAY!


It was forty years ago that Kathy and I got married. I am not sure where all those years have gone though. We have been married longer than many of my friends have been alive and I still can't figure out how that could have happened so quickly. I remember like it was yesterday when I first saw my sweetheart. It was at our University's hiking club (The Boot and Blister Club) which met in the Wildlife Building (room 206). Not to relive our history I just want to be clear I remember the moment as clear as when it happened. I was 18, and like all 18 year old I was pretty sure I knew most of what I needed to know.
I guess the one thing I did know and still know is that Kathy was the love of my life. No it hasn't been all roses since then, but it has been special an our life together has been full of love and happiness.
I am a sucker for weddings. I guess I have the hope that all young people will find the love of their lives, get married and live happily ever after. The ironic thing is when we got married we didn't really believe in the institution of marriage. We did it to appease family members and to make our lives easier. Now I do believe in Marriage. I think the commitment and the love that goes into a marriage is well worth the effort.
Last year I went to two weddings and I hope that Serena and Ben and Matt and Ruth have long lasting relationships full of adventure, love and joy. I even watched the Royal Wedding, well the highlights anyway. Being part Canadian gave me the right to enjoy the royal couple (yes if you didn't know The Queen is also the head of state of Canada). It was refreshing to see two people in love getting married instead of two people in a marriage of convenience. Kate is the first commoner to marry the successor to the crown in over 350 years.
So I hope love conquers all. I also have a few friends who I think should marry. I would be foolish to know who should marry and who should not, but because my marriage has been so wonderful I think others should be able to share what we have had. I am an optimist for sure.
Here is to love, joy and happiness
Don

3 comments:

Matt said...

Don, congrats on 40 years. I consider you a mentor and role model for a number of reasons, this among them. Thanks for being part of our wedding... and is that you with beard and a ton of hair?

Gary Bonacker said...

Congratulations Don. Very inspirational blog. We have laughed and cried together and we seem to be loosing our hair as well. Cheers to kathy and yourself.

Your second wife,

Gary B.

Serena said...

Don, thanks for sharing and congratulations on 40 years of marriage! Ben and I look up to the example set by you and Kathy. We are so grateful to have you in our lives. A toast to kindred spirits!

Serena