http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

THOUGHTS ON THE USA





When I was leaving Portland Damian told me maybe I would see that a vacation in the USA could be as good one in Europe. Though I love going to Europe I also love the country I live in. This four day drive close to our Northern Border has been quite interesting, and there are some places I would like to return to.
Here are a few thoughts that came to me as I sat in the car for almost 10 hours yesterday.
One, It is so nice to drive on highways not wrecked by studded tyres. Either lane is flat without the dreaded grooves that we have in Oregon. Studded tyres are not allowed in most states because they ruin the highways and make them more dangerous.
Two, The Montana of my memories (I was born there) is not the same as the Romantic Montana of today. Today Montana for many is the land of fly fishing, hunting, hiking and the Rockies.
The Montana of my youth is one of big vistas, rodeos, wheat fields, and oil rigs dotting the skyline. Though the fly fishing mecca exists, the Montana of my memories is still there. It is a lot like Oregon in fact. Most think of Oregon as a wet forested green part of the Northwest, but is eastsiders know it for something different. Montana is called Big Sky Country for a reason. That is my Montana.
Three, Why haven't they discovered coffee out here in the midwest.
Four Desolate North Dakota is a beautiful State. This is my first visit to ND. It was the only state I hadn't visited other than Hawaii. Now time for some motel intervals.
Don

1 comment:

Matt said...

I miss Montana. Thanks for the updates Don. When I was having a tough time motivating to get on the trainer last night, I remembered you were probably doing intervals in a hotel somewhere in the midwest and I decided I better get on it. Love it!