http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Thursday, November 19, 2009

DECIDING ON RACING OR NOT

In the photo you can see Mike mounting another tufo cyclocross tubular.  Cross season is hot and heavy at Sunnyside right now. We have three weeks until Nationals. This year is different, most would be done with cross with the finish of the cross crusade but with Nationals it is a different story. We have a race Thanksgiving weekend, then The GP races in Portland the next weekend with Nationals in Bend the 10TH through the 13TH. Mike and I will be gluing many more tyres on in the next three weeks.
So what about me? I was hoping my doctor or my physical therapist would tell me I was 100% and give me the all clear. That is not going to happen. I am the one who will have to decide, I am the one who knows how I feel, the progress I have made and what it means to me.
Right now I feel 98%, I am not sure if I ever feel 100%.
Ok I have been on my trainer keeping in shape, but I haven't been in a race since the beginning of October
If I do race will I be disappointed if I don't go well, will my back withstand a race? Maybe my back is fine. Is sitting harder on me than riding?
I could keep asking all these questions but in the end I will not know, not even if I wait a year. I still have three weeks to decide, and only I can do that.
Thanks for reading, Don

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

1 comment:

Serena said...

Don, I know that this decision is going to be a tough one for you... and only you can make it. Either way, your team will be cheering for you. Whether you are on the course or on the sideline, you are an inspiration to all of us. Don't forget why we do this - because it is fun, because we are part of a team that cares about each member, and because we are the ones dedicated and determined enough to have bike disease. Don, either way, you are on the podium.