http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

LIVING IN BEND

Brig asked me if I thought about living somewhere else than Bend. Well I have to say I have. When George was elected the second time I was ready to leave the states.  I don't think I would have, and now that most people see our President for who he is I don't feel that anymore. I answered Brig - that Bend is the best place I have ever been to. I have lived here for over 30 years. I have been to most states, many different countries and for me Bend is the best. Not too big but big enough. This doesn't mean I like everything that has happened in Bend. I still like most things.
As most of you know I love to mountain bike. I like being in the woods, I love being on a bike, and I love the technical bits. Going over rocks, steep downhills and windy descents. I also like not driving. No, it has little to do with $4 dollar a gallon gas. I just think driving is a waste of life. I have done my share. I once had a 90 mile one way commute to work (now it is a 2 minute bike ride). I think most time spent in a car is non-productive. The photo shows how long it takes to get to real single track from my house. This does not include the 5 minutes of single track on the way to the trail. This is where you can ride single track for hours on end. The kind I like, up, down, dusty, wet whatever.  I love the Ochocos, the MacKenzie and  Umpqua Rivers. I do them once a year. I would do them more but for the drive. I usually quit skiing at the end of February. I know there is lots of good skiing left, but I look at the bike and I look at the car and the bike wins. 
So for me Bend is the best place. Great trails close by, no need to drive. I love it.

No comments: