http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Monday, March 31, 2008

WILDLIFE CLOSE TO HOME

I don't have a big camera to take close ups of wildlife. So this is as good as it gets. Last week Veronica and I saw a single Pronghorn, and midweek I was in a herd of Elk. Yesterday a herd of Pronghorns, in the Millican Valley, did a full gallop 360 degrees around me. This was as close as they got. It was totally cool. I used to work for the Forest Service and I spent lots of time East of Bend. I used to see lots of Pronghorn. This is the first time I have seen a herd of them for almost 20 years. If you don't get out because it is too cold, or too far, it is time. Don't drive as you will never see anything. You have to walk or ride. Riding is best because you are going fast enough to surprise them, but with no noise.
About an hour later I met with James. He went on the same road but wasn't fortunate enough to see the Pronghorns. He saw lots of blue birds though. They are bright blue and there are many of of them out there now. James and I rode together back to my car on
Gosney. I gave him a cookie and some hot chocolate. Then I found out it was his 28th birthday. I was lucky to be prepared.
So don't whine about the snow on the Phil's trail area, go out east. This is the coolest part of Central Oregon.
Don

No comments: