http://www.sunnysidesports.com/about-us/dons-blog/

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

ANDY AND ROS FRIENDS FROM AFAR

I just got back from my trip to Mallorca, Spain. On the way back I made a quick jog up to Scotland to see my good friends Andy and Ros. I talked about all the Scots (and English) who came to Mallorca but these two didn't, so I had to go visit them. If you are an avid reader of my blog they came over to visit with me and Kathy last June.
I only had two days, not enough but it is what I had. My Friend Rhoda drove me over to Peebles on the way home from the airport. Neither of us knew exactly which building Andy's flat was in, just the street. So as we pulled up to where we thought it was close, Rhoda looked up and saw a Sunnyside Sports jersey hanging from a second floor window. It was like a flag welcoming me their home. Ros heard our car and came running down the street and gave me a kiss and big hug. Welcome I was. Up the stairs we went and the first thing I get is a hot cup of tea. So far I know I am in the right place. Andy comes home a few minutes later. Another hug (sorry no kiss). They ask what I want for dinner. Ros suggests humus, pita bread etc. Now I love middle eastern food, Kababa is one of my favorite restaurants around, but I was in Scotland and what I wanted was a haggis supper. So out we went to Jim Jacks in downtown Peebles. A perfect meal. Haggis is just a sausage type food that people like to make fun of. It is quite good. Along with the haggis comes chips (we call them fries), mushy peas, and a drink. Mushy peas are also a food Americans like to make fun of. But if they are prepared right they are not so bad. 
The next two days we spent hiking along the River Tweed, eating cakes, drinking tea, seeing more old friends, riding our bikes on some of the most quiet and beautiful roads I have ever been on, and of course watching Rugby on the tely. Rugby is very popular in the Borders of Scotland, and the biggest Rugby match is going on right now. It is the Cup of the Six Nations. France, Italy, Ireland, England, Wales and, of course, Scotland. I ended up watching two matches. I don't really go for field and ball sports but this is a much better game to watch then our American Football. 
Monday morning it was up early to the airport in Edinburgh. Not much talk as we all were thinking of the good bye we would say in a few minutes time.
I am home now, and very glad to be here, but having such good friends living so far away is not easy. I have no idea when we will see each other again, hopefully soon. 
Thanks you Andy and Ros for a perfect end to a great holiday. Lets just make sure we see each other soon.
Take care.
Don

No comments: